Cleaning vomit from carpets is not an appealing task, at all! If you don’t know how to clean vomit from carpet properly, you’ll end up make a mess and leaving your carpet permanently stained. The key is to remove the vomit without setting it deeper into the fibers of the carpet.
When attempting to clean vomit from your carpet, never scrub the area or use warm water. Scrubbing will push the vomit deeper into the fibers of the carpet, and warm water will make the vomit set and permanently stain the carpet.
What you want to do is to remove as much of the vomit as you can, then treat the area to get rid of the rest of the vomit and the smell.
Follow the guide below to remove vomit from your carpet.
Cleaning Vomit from Carpet the Easy Way (Get Rid of Smell Too!)
You should also check out our article on how to get bad smell out of carpet.
- Dry/Wet Vac (If you can afford it, a wet vac is an essential equipment to have if you have carpet in your house. You can buy Amazon’s best seller for only $35 or rent one from a hardware store)
- Dust Pan or Plastic Scraper or a Plastic Plate
- Paper towels
- A bucket or a medium-sized bowl
- Baking Soda or Corn Starch
- An Enzyme Based Carpet Cleaner (We recommend “Pet Stain & Odor Miracle“)
- Rubber or latex gloves
Step 1: Put on a glove. DO NOT attempt to scrub the vomit off the carpet with a rag. You will end up making the situation worse. Use a dust pan or a plastic scraper to scrape off as much of the vomit as you can.
- Scrape in such a way that you don’t push the vomit into the carpet.
- Use a scooping action.
Step 2: Take a few paper towels and use it to blot gently at the spot to remove moisture from the carpet.
Step 3: Pour a generous layer of baking soda, corn starch or talcum powder over the area and leave it on for about an hour.
- The powder will absorb the moisture, and you can then vacuum the powder off the carpet.
Step 4: Now you need to treat the area to get the rest of the vomit out and remove the bad smell.
Step 5: Spray the enzyme based cleaner over the spot. The spray we recommended above will clean the carpet of vomit and remove any stains made by the vomit.
Step 6: Blot the area with paper towels to remove as much of the moisture as you can. If you have access to a wet vac, use it to get the moisture out instead of blotting.
Step 7: Check to see that the spot is clean. If you see any stains or the area smells of vomit, repeat steps 5 through 6 until the stain and smell are gone.
Step 8: If you do not have access to an enzyme cleaner, you can make a cleaning solution by adding vinegar and dishwashing soap to water, and use it to clean the spot.
Step 9: Vacuum the area with your wet vac to remove any moisture left behind.
Step 10: Allow the carpet t dry. You can speed up the drying process by opening windows and placing a fan over the area.
Step 11: Vacuum the area to restore the texture of the carpet.
- The best time to get the vomit out of the carpet is when it happens. Do not leave it for later because the longer you leave it on the carpet, the harder it is to clean the vomit
- When using an enzyme cleaner, follow the instructions on the bottle. Some cleaners require that you leave the cleaner on the carpet and let it air dry.
- Dispose of your vacuum bag and clean the vacuum after using it. This is to ensure that bacteria does not grow in your vacuum cleaner.
- Windex glass cleaner is also a good cleaning agent for removing stain and odor out of carpet. Spray the area with Windex, let it set for a few minutes and then scrub with a cloth.
- Get Woolite OxyDeep Power Shot Carpet Stain Remover. Scrape off as much vomit with a dust pan and then treat the area with this stuff. It is one of the best products for removing stains from carpet. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.
- If you don’t have a dust pan, use a plastic plate or a plastic cup to scrape off the vomit. Dispose of the cup or plate.
Did the above method work for you or do you have tips on how to clean vomit from a carpet? Please share your experiences with your fellow readers by leaving a comment below.